In 1900, in honor of Abner Loomis, the name of the street between Whitcomb Street and Grant Avenue, formerly known as Lincoln Avenue, was changed to Loomis Avenue by ordinance of the city of Fort Collins.

City streets running east-west were generally named for trees or shrubs, while north-south streets were named for prominent residents such as Whedbee, Peterson, Matthews, Remington, Mason, Howes, Meldrum, Sherwood and Whitcomb. West of Whitcomb Street, the north-south streets were named for presidents: Lincoln, Grant and Washington.

Since there was already a Lincoln Avenue on the east side of College, it made sense to change the name of that street in honor of one of Fort Collins’ founding fathers and the developer of one of its early additions.