The S.C. Case House at 145 N. Loomis was built in 1897.

Thirty-five houses remaining today in the Loomis Addition date from before 1900. These early houses reflect popular styles of the late 1800s, some of which did not arrive in Colorado until long after they had gone out of favor in the East.

The S.C. Case House at 145 North Loomis, built c. 1890, is a rare Fort Collins example of the Italianate style which was popular nationwide from about 1860 to 1880. Modeled after Italian villas, but adapted to the needs of American homeowners, the Italianate style featured square, two-story blocks topped with shallow hipped roofs, tall, narrow windows with heavy window hoods, and wide, overhanging eaves, often with brackets.

125 S. Whitcomb, in the Whitcomb Street Historic District, is the Isabell residence, built in 1894.

Houses such as the the cottages in the Whitcomb Street Historic District are plainer, smaller variations of the Queen Anne style, a style known for its exuberant floor plan with multiple projections such as bay windows, towers and porches made from the array of pre-cut architectural features available by mail order and delivered by the railroad. Queen Anne style houses usually mixed several different kinds of building materials, such as stone, brick, clapboard and a variety of patterned shingles.

Other house styles from this period include Folk Victorian and Classic Cottage.

727 Laporte, an example of a Classic Cottage built in 1905.

 


Mary Humstone, Rheba Massey, and Carly-Ann Anderson, Loomis Addition Historic Context, p. 18. Reprinted with permission from the City of Fort Collins. Funding for the Loomis Addition Historic Context was provided in part by a Certified Local Government grant through History Colorado.